Microphone/webcam problems (Web)
If you can’t see a preview of yourself at the start of a User test, then there is something wrong with your video output. You should be able to fix this by trying the steps below.
Check your hardware
- Make sure that your microphone and camera are plugged into your computer and turned on. Double check your microphone isn’t muted too.
- If you connect any of your hardware using USB, check if you need to install software from the device manufacturer.
- Make sure that other software on your computer isn’t using your microphone or camera.
- If the steps above don't work we recommend testing your hardware on another platform (this should show you if there's something wrong with the hardware you're using). On a Mac, try using Photo Booth to confirm your camera is working. On Windows, you could try Skype.
Check your software
While other browsers will likely work we recommend using Chrome
- Open Chrome
- Click here to get redirected to Chrome's settings page
- Check that the settings say, “Google Chrome is up to date”
Check if you rejected access
In your browser, to the right of the address bar, you should see a camera icon. If it has a red 'x' in the bottom corner of this icon, it likely means you rejected access to your camera and microphone.
To allow the browser access:
- Click the camera icon.
- Follow the instructions here to enable access to your camera and microphone.
Restart your computer
- Quit/close all software on your computer
- Restart your computer
- Click the user test link you were given to start the test again
please get in touch with our Support team.
User test not loading on the test device?
Check that you have the Marvel app installed, that you have Marvel set as a trusted app and that you have allowed permission for the app to be trusted.
I haven't received my invite email!
Not to worry, check your spam folder in case the email has been misdirected. The person who created the user test can message you directly with the share URL too!
Why doesn't my landscape project work?
Landscape projects are not yet fully supported on our iOS app, but we're working hard on making sure they will be supported very soon!
Why is face recording not working?
Currently, we only support face recording on Chrome and Firefox web browsers. If face recording isn't working on these web browsers you may have blocked access on your browser 💔 Please check to see if both camera and microphone access has been allowed.
Face recording is also available on our iOS app. If you are using an iOS device you can check if your camera and microphone has been allowed access by going to your device settings > Privacy > microphone/camera > turn on permissions for Marvel.
I'm using IE or Edge and it won't work!
At the moment we do not support IE or Edge browsers. We recommend using Chrome to get the best experience!
What devices work with User testing?
For our iOS app, all models from the iPhone 5s onwards will be compatible.
For web, a Chrome or Firefox browser will work on MacOS, Windows, and Linux devices.
My embedded link doesn't look like it's working!
Currently we do not fully support embeds with User testing. On the iOS app, they can stop the recording. However, on desktop tests the participant will be able to see them - they just won't show what happened to them in the replay.