Microphone/webcam problems (Web)
If you can’t see a preview of yourself at the start of a User test, then there is something wrong with your video output. You should be able to fix this by trying the steps below.
Check your hardware
- Make sure that your microphone and camera are plugged into your computer and turned on. Double check your microphone isn’t muted too.
- If you connect any of your hardware using USB, check if you need to install software from the device manufacturer.
- Make sure that other software on your computer isn’t using your microphone or camera.
- If the steps above don't work we recommend testing your hardware on another platform (this should show you if there's something wrong with the hardware you're using). On a Mac, try using Photo Booth to confirm your camera is working. On Windows, you could try Skype.
Check your software
While other browsers will likely work we recommend using Chrome
- Open Chrome
- Click here to get redirected to Chrome's settings page
- Check that the settings say, “Google Chrome is up to date”
Check if you rejected access
In your browser, to the right of the address bar, you should see a camera icon. If it has a red 'x' in the bottom corner of this icon, it likely means you rejected access to your camera and microphone.
To allow the browser access:
- Click the camera icon.
- Follow the instructions here to enable access to your camera and microphone.
Restart your computer
- Quit/close all software on your computer
- Restart your computer
- Click the user test link you were given to start the test again
Please get in touch with our Support team.