The Handoff Tool is the ultimate bridge between your design and development teams in Marvel.
Handoff automatically turns designs and prototypes into pixel-perfect development specifications including code and assets, right next to the interactive prototype.
With Handoff, your project in Marvel is the spec doc - No need for the time-consuming task of red-lining or creating never-ending PDFs each time your design changes. Simply share your Marvel prototype with your developer and they can get all the information they need to create the screens to your exact specification. Everything stays updated in real-time so you’ll always know that Marvel is the source of truth for your project.
How to get started
Enable and view Handoff on your projects
If you're syncing artboards from Sketch, please ensure you're using the latest version of the Sketch plugin which you can download here and also set your artboard as exportable from Sketch (select the whole artboard by clicking on its title > click the 'Make exportable' button in the right-hand Inspector panel)
Enabling/Disabling Handoff on Sketch uploads
When you sync your artboards to Marvel, after clicking the 'sync all' or 'sync selected' button, you will see this pop up:
The Handoff data and export controls can be found by clicking the settings icon. You can disable or enable Handoff syncing by unchecking or checking the 'Sync Handoff data' checkbox.
Is the Handoff button greyed out in Marvel?
Open your project and hit the Play button in the top right-hand corner
In the bottom left-hand corner of the screen, click on the Handoff button to access the developer specifications and assets
Note: If the designs haven’t been uploaded using Marvel for Sketch or our Design tool, then the button will be greyed out.
Once Handoff is open, it’s an absolute breeze to start getting measurements, code and assets. When you first enter Handoff without any elements selected, you’ll see the screen level properties.
Here you’ll find two sections: Artboard and Assets
Here you'll find information on the entire screen
A list of colours defined in the Sketch file, click any to copy the value to your clipboard
A list of fonts within the screen
Displays the grid information in the Sketch file
The Asset section stores all the layers and assets for the screen which you can download individually or as one ZIP file with everything contained.
You can export the same element in multiple sizes e.g. 1x, 2x etc based on your layers.
Note: Sketch users will need to mark layers as exportable in the formats needed! Here's how:
- Select the element in your Sketch artboard you want to show as an asset in Handoff
- Click the “Make Exportable” button at the bottom of the Inspector panel on the right
- When a layer has been marked as ‘exportable’, a new view will appear in the place of the button. Here you can adjust and define the settings for export and these settings will be applied when the layer is exported. You’ll also see a preview of the asset just above these settings.
- When you upload your artboard to Marvel and view the screen's Handoff, this element should show as an asset available to download 👍
How to download an asset:
- Click on the Handoff button in the bottom left-hand corner of your screen
- In the Handoff menu on the right, switch to the assets tab
- Download any individual asset by clicking on the download button directly underneath the image of the asset
- Alternatively, you can download all available assets for this screen by hitting the download all screen assets button - this will download a ZIP file with all all the assets from that screen. To access the assets, open your download folder, find and double-click on the ZIP file to unzip all the individual assets.
If you want to get more detailed information on any element within the design, click to select then view in the sidebar.
Here you’ll find:
If the select element contains an image, you’ll see that available to download.
Includes width, height and X/Y coordinates of the element.
The colour values for the element selected
Grab the colour, opacity, X/Y coordinates, blur and spread of shadows.
Download any fill images or view the colour.
Includes typeface, size, weight, spacing and alignment
This gives you the text inside any type layers and the ability to copy to clipboard. A huge time-saver!
Click on any image within the design to download that asset
CSS, Swift and Android
Grab the CSS, Swift and Android code for the element to quickly copy and paste into your code-editor
- CSS - (web projects) measurements are displayed in pixels
- Android (XML) - measurements are displayed in dp
- SWIFT - (iOS) measurements are displayed in points
Distances between elements
To see distances between elements, simply hover your mouse over to highlight the layer and display values.